Medical Surgical Nursing III
Community Project Directions
Due Unit 7- 70 Points
In this project you will design a community health fair based on a specific population. Examples
include: preschool parents, an immigrant community, a nursing home, for a school. Your
project must include the appropriate methods for teaching your population and delivering the
message, and the resources you would need to develop your fair. Discuss the interdisciplinary
personnel you would invite- such as nutritionists, or physical therapists, etc. Part of your project
includes a narrative discussion of the topics you have chosen for your population. In this
discussion you will also explain the nurses’ role in the health of the community.
1. Choose the population for your health fair.
2. Develop three goals for the fair that address specific health care needs of the
3. Discuss the health care topics you will cover at your fair. Be sure they are appropriate
for your population. Include what assessment tools you used to determine these needs,
such as Healthy People 2020 or the local Health Department’s website. This section
should be a narrative that is at least 2 pages in length.
a. Explain why you chose these topics for your population and include at least three
peer reviewed, evidence based resources or assessment tools to support your
health care topics.
4. Discuss the nurse’s role in supporting health care delivery in the community.
5. Describe the delivery methods you will use, making sure it is appropriate for your
population, such as a skit for preschool children or multiple booths for a health
screening fair for senior citizens.
a. Include at least two delivery methods.
6. Describe the layout of your fair, the location, and the hours.
7. List the people who will be involved and their role- nurses, pharmacists, nutritionists,
8. Discuss the cultural considerations necessary to meet the goals of the fair.
9. Discuss the resources you will need for the fair, such as medical equipment,
refreshments, handouts, audio visual equipment, guest speakers, community leaders,
etc. Explain how you will obtain resources, contacts in the community that will be used
and how the resources support the goals of the fair.
10. You must use APA guidelines. Note: Your paper should be well organized, use headings
and follow APA guidelines for listing topics.