PROJECT 2: COLORING BOOK
The purpose of this project is to demonstrate your understanding of the following course concepts:
1. Apply fundamental concepts of vector image composition to create professional digital media.
2. Identify and describe vector image editing techniques and their use in the development of digital media for current and emerging applications.
3. Use industry standard software to create and manipulate vector artwork following workflow processes for delivery across multiple platforms, including print, Web sites, interactive projects, and video.
4. Produce vector artwork following ethical principles and legal guidelines.
This project is designed to incorporate the main tools that a designer uses to create vector art, such as the pen tool, colors, and shapes. A design component of a coloring book page is the use of patterns and line work.
The theme of design is your choice. Some ideas include: favorite cartoon, sports, music, pop art, art deco, famous landmarks or places. Also keep in mind, that you are graded on the overall design of the page. The coloring book page should follow good design principles. It should be detailed and visually appealing.
You will create two versions of the coloring book page, including a page with just the linework and a colored in version of the page.
The coloring book page should demonstrate:
1. Pen tool: at least one design element must be created by the pen tool, including Bezier curves.
2. Stroke: stroke should be applied to the linework to create the coloring lines.
3. Shapes: use shapes to create a design element. Use the pathfinder to unite, minus front, intersect, divide, exclude, merge.
4. Text: incorporate text into the design. Use create outlines to modify the shape of the text to fit the theme of the design.
5. Symbols: a minimum of one design element should be a modified symbol. The symbol should be modified (i.e. changing colors or lines).
6. Pattern: use a design element made of shapes to create a pattern in the design using either a pattern brush or the symbol sprayer.
7. Layers: layers should be present and used appropriately. Layers should be named appropriately.
8. Fill: the design should be in color. A minimum of 3 colors should be used in each design.
9. Gradient: a minimum of one design element on one stamp must have a gradient.
10. Swatches: create a minimum of one custom swatch. Name the swatch.
Artist Statement Rationale
11. After you have designed the coloring book page, write an artist statement that includes:
a. Discuss your design in terms of visual appeal, creativity, and readability.
i. Discuss why the design appeals to the intended audience.
ii. Discuss why you used certain design elements and fonts.
12. Submit the source file (i.e. Adobe Illustrator-.ai, Inkscape-.svg), PDF, and .png of both versions – linework and colored in version.
13. Please submit your completed project to your Assignments Folder before the due date.