1. Balancing a budget is a(n)______task for individuals as well as for governments.
2. When several people pass along information one by one, the inevitably_____it.
3. Although admirers were eager to lionize the Bronte sisters, they were_______s, preferring their own company to that of the outside world.
4. Thomas Carlyle says that “__________is hard upon a man” but that prosperity is even harder to endure.
5. A clever_______may win admiration for wit but discourage gentler feelings.
6. Readers of Beverly Cleary’s_______have met Henry Huggins, an amusing character who appears in a succession of her of her novels.
7. As they leap, turn somersaults, and otherwise________ their bodies, Olympic gymnasts prove their suppleness.
8. Although the nursery rhyme begins, “Mary, Mary, quite contrary,” The references to her garden and “maids all in a row” do not explain why she is_______.
adversity avert contort distort introvert perverse prose retort subservient subvert tortuous