Discussion Board Forum Instructions
This document explains how you are to complete your Discussion Board (DB) Forum Threads and Replies. The DB Forums are designed to assess higher-level, critical thinking skills, such as analysis, synthesis, and evaluation. The learning theories, upon which this class is based, are actualized in these threads.
DB FORUM THREAD
In Modules/Weeks 3 & 5, select ONE (1) of the prompts/questions provided and post your answer in a *substantive thread of 250–350 words, citing at least two (2) approved/credible sources, using correct APA formatting.
Approved/credible sources include:
· the course textbook (as listed on the course syallbus)
· full-text, peer-reviewed/scholarly articles (retrieved from Liberty University’s online journal database).
No general Internet searching is acceptable. Therefore, blogs, education sites, commercial sites, Wikipedia, About.com, editorials, abstracts, online books, book reviews, etc. are NOT acceptable for this assignment. For questions about what a peer-reviewed/scholarly article is or how to search for these articles, go to https://www.liberty.edu/library/search-tips/
*Substantive means completely answering the question and providing support with your use of approved/credible sources.
The last portion of your thread must include a complete reference list, properly formatted according to the most current APA guidelines. Note that your reference list does NOT contribute to your word count. You are also required to include a working URL for any full text articles used; all working URLs must take your reader directly to the full text article within Liberty’s online library database. To further clarify, classmates must be able to directly link to the full text article within LU’s online library database using the URL you include in your thread. If you are unsure about the specific URL/link, you can copy the entire web address from the top of the web browser address bar (once you are on the page where you are viewing the full text article).
Submit your DB Forum Thread by 11:59 pm (ET) on Monday of the assigned module/week.
DB FORUM REPLY
In Modules/Weeks 4 & 6, choose one classmate’s thread that answers a different prompt/question than your original thread, applying the *2-by-2 format in your **constructive reply of 200-300 words.
*The 2-by-2 format should focus on content and indicate 2 points of agreement (or 2 things you like about the post) and why, as well as 2 points of disagreement (or 2 things you feel the posting author could have added to make his/her post stronger) and why.
**Constructive means promoting further development of the topic and adding suggestions for improvement.
Submit your DB Forum Reply by 11:59 pm (ET) on Monday of the assigned module/week.
To gain the most from Discussion Board Forums:
· Read all threads and included articles.
· Draw your classmates into a discussion of the topic by asking questions.
· Expect to spend some time each day reviewing all threads and replies, even those with which you are not involved.
· The research and writing done for each forum is meant to prepare you for research and writing upper-level research papers in APA format. Each posting, whether thread or reply, should be written without grammar or spelling errors. In addition, all threads must contain parenthetical in-text citations (showing your use of information from the sources in your reference list) and at least 2 credible/approved sources, which are meant to substantiate and add credibility to your claims. Sources should be properly formatted according to the most current APA guidelines.
· Utilize a 3–4 paragraph format:
1. Introductory statement/paragraph; this introductory statement/paragraph should introduce the topic and contain your thesis statement;
2. Body paragraph; this paragraph (or 2) should defend/support your thesis statement. This paragraph should contain a proper balance of information from credible sources and your own personal experience on the topic.
3. Conclusion statement/paragraph; this paragraph should restate your thesis, bringing your post to a strong, logical close.
By employing the use of the above format, your classmates (and instructor) are able to quickly discern the direction and organization of your thread. A logical flow of material is vital for effective conveyance of a certain message. Be concise and complete!
Consult the current edition of the APA manual for help with formatting in-text citations and references. You should also view the grading rubric, as well as the “Sample Discussion Board Forum Thread and Reply” document, which is located in class: Course Content, Course Guidelines and Assignment Instructions; Assignment Instructions Discussion Board